Monday, September 14, 2015

Apple Crisp


Every once in awhile, I think Apple Crisp sure would hit the spot.  I asked my mom for her recipe awhile back and she said she uses the recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book.  She's given me two of these books over the years.  These really are great books.



My husband bought big bag of Gala apples are awhile back and they were getting to the point where they were not very good to eat raw (getting a bit mealy).  So Apple Crisp seemed like a really good idea.

Every time I peel and slice apples, I think of my mom. I remember her standing in front of the sink, slowly and carefully peeling apples. We had apple trees in our backyard and they were seldom treated with chemicals or pesticides to kill bugs/worms.  So you had to peel and slice the apples VERY CAREFULLY if you get my drift.  The kitchen in the home was a galley-sort of kitchen and it was kind of in the middle of the house, so you had to pass through the kitchen to get from here to there. I remember walking through the kitchen, grabbing and gobbling up the apple slices. It probably took my mom twice as long to make an Apple Crisp or an Apple Pie because I kept taking the apple slices. Sorry, Mom!

We had a beautiful sunset outside as this Apple Crisp was baking.  I went outside to look at the sunset and to take a few photos, and when I came back inside each time, the house smelled amazing!

Here's the recipe. 

APPLE CRISP
Adapted from the Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook (12th Edition)
Original recipe on-line HERE.

Filling:
5 cups peeled and sliced apples (I used 5 gala apples)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar (next time I'll use less)
2 teaspoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Topping:
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I also added in a little fresh grated nutmeg)
1/4 cup butter

For the apple filling, combine the apples, sugar, flour, and cinnamon in an 8 " x  8 " x 2" baking dish.  Stir to coat.

For the topping, in a medium bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut butter in until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle topping over apples.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the fruit is tender and the topping is golden.




Yum!













No comments: