Saturday, February 14, 2015

Hobo Burger Packets


Hobo Burger Foil Packs

I am inspired to try a lot of new recipes based on posts I see on Facebook. This is a Paula Deen recipe. The recipe calls for carrots and my family does not like cooked carrots so I simply left them out. 


I have already made this recipe three times in the past two months. The first time, I baked the foil packs right away. We had them for dinner with some servings left over of course. 

The second time I made the recipe, it occurred to me I could make up the packets ahead of time and put them in refrigerator uncooked. I had to work the next day so I left the cooking instructions for my husband. He preheated the oven and dinner was ready shortly after I got my home.  

My teenager is on the go and comes home after dinner some evenings. He can reheat the contents of one packet in the microwave in about 2 1/2 minutes. 

We've all decided we especially like this dish with some blue cheese crumbles sprinkled on top just before serving. 

This recipe is definitely a KEEPER!  I don't use red potatoes very often; I love them in this recipe. 

HOBO BURGER PACKETS

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I used as lean as I could get)
  • 1/2 cup butter crackers, crumbled
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 4 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced (I used more)
  • 1 medium Vidalia onion, thinly sliced (I used less)
  • 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds (I omitted)
  • kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (I used McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning) 

Preparation

Step 1
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix together beef, cracker crumbs, egg, garlic, Worcestershire, cheese, salt and pepper.
Step 2
Pat the mixture into 4-6 (6-inch) patties. Place each patty onto 2 layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil, enough to cover and close.
Step 3
Add potatoes, onion, and carrots to the same bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper (or McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning), tossing to combine.
Step 4
Top each patty with an equal portion of the vegetable mixture then seal each packet tightly. Place on a sheet tray and bake for 40 minutes, until the burger is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.

No comments: