Friday, February 27, 2015

Blueberry Muffins (Another recipe using yogurt)

Blueberry Muffins with Yogurt
 
A recipe from the Pioneer Woman: "Ellen's Awesome-est Blueberry Muffins"

In the past few posts, I've chatted about making yogurt at home and I've tried out a handful of recipes using yogurt. I made yogurt three weeks in a row and I did not do a good job eating the last batch.  I had spent a bundle on fresh blueberries to make yogurt parfaits. So I had blueberries and yogurt in the fridge, both about to go bad.  I did a Google search for blueberry muffins using yogurt and came across this great looking recipe on the Pioneer Woman's blog.  I am a big fan of her recipes and her show.  

 
I loved that I had all the ingredients on hand to make these muffins. 
The recipe can be found on the Pioneer Woman's blog HERE.
 

The Awesome-est Blueberry Muffins from www.thepioneerwoman.com

3 cups minus 2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
Heavy pinch of salt
Dash of Nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 generous cup plain, unflavored yogurt
2 cups fresh blueberries
Vanilla Extract
Softened Butter, for muffin tins (I used paper and foil liners in the muffin tins)
Turbinado sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 385 degrees (I baked my muffins at 350 degrees).

In a large bowl sift flour, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In another large bowl whisk together sugar, oil, cap-ful of vanilla, egg, and yogurt. Add the dry ingredients and stir to a count of 10.

Add blueberries, reserving 1/2 cup, to mixture and stir 3 times.

Add mixture to well-buttered muffin pans. Sprinkle remaining berries on top and press down lightly. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over top. (Brown sugar can be used instead.)

Bake 20 to 25 minutes (mine were done at about 17 minutes) and allow to cool completely.

*****************
So far, my husband has tasted tested these and he said they are really good!

I think I got 21 muffins out of this batter.  I used foil and paper cupcake liners in my muffin pans and baked my muffins at a lower temperature for a shorter period of time.  I just know my muffin pans and my oven, and I also live above 5,000 feet in elevation.  I need to invest in an ice cream scoop so I can scoop my muffins and cupcakes more evenly.  This batter is just really thick and gorgeous. It might be a great basic muffin batter recipe which can easily be adapted to other varieties.  I might give that a try sometime.

No comments: