Monday, November 3, 2014

Muddy Buddies



Proceed with EXTREME caution! These treats are DANGEROUSLY good!

So I remember a day many moons ago: I picked up Zach at daycare/pre-school (remember, Zach is now a Senior in high school... I told you... many moons ago...) and I was informed they had made "Puppy Chow" that day. Turns out Puppy Chow is a treat made with Chex Cereal. Chocolate and peanut butter get all melty and delicious and are stirred into Chex cereal until it's all coated. Then you toss the chocately-peanut-buttery cereal in powdered sugar. I understood why they called it Puppy Chow since some puppy food does have a white powdery-milky coating on it.

In the past few months, I've noticed Zach has gone to a nearby gas station to get snacks and he brings home a bag of Chex Muddy Buddies (AKA: Puppy Chow). So I told Zach the other day, "if you go to the store and get some Chex cereal, I will make you Muddy Buddies!".

I finally made Muddy Buddies Chow at home last night. It was very easy to make and I had all the ingredients on hand except for the Chex cereal. The recipe specifies using ONE two-gallon sized zip lock bag to coat the cereal. I used TWO one-gallon sized zip lock bags. The only tricky thing about making this treat was getting the coated cereal into the bag without making a big ol' chocalately mess.

Chex Muddy Buddies

9 cups Rice Chex™, Corn Chex™ or Chocolate Chex™ cereal (or combination)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (I ended up using a lot more than 1 1/2 cups)

Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.

In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.

Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.

Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated.

Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

TURNS OUT there are lots of Chex cereal recipes out there. I think I might have to try a few more. I'll keep you posted! :)

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

We love muddy buddies...they are easy to veganize too...

~Have a lovely day!