Saturday, August 2, 2014

Brutus Bites



Brutus Bites
 
I couldn't make treats and call them "Sandy Snacks" without making up something special for Brutus, too!
 
Today I tried another recipe and I am calling these "Brutus Bites". Both doggies love these.  I found the recipe HERE.  They are "Healthy Pumpkin Balls".
 




Healthy Pumpkin Balls
This snack is not only delicious but is also filled with fiber, vitamin A, beta-carotene, potassium, and iron.
    Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 4 tbsp molasses
  • 4 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
    Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix pumpkin, molasses, vegetable oil, and water together in a bowl
  3. Add the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon to the mixture and stir until dough softens
  4. Scoop out small spoonfuls of dough and roll into balls on your hands (wet hands work best)
  5. Set the balls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and flatten with a fork
  6. Bake approximately 25 minutes until dough is hardened
After making dog treats yesterday, I second guessed the oven temperature on this recipe.  I think my oven is running a little "hot".  I baked these at 300 degrees F for about 45 minutes and then turned the oven off and let them sit in the oven a bit longer with the door closed as the oven cooled.  These are still soft inside. I used my little ice cream scoop to portion these out (the same scoop I used to make human sized cookies) and they are way too big.  I will make these again sometime, only I will make them small-dog-bite-sized. 

The dogs went nuts for these treats! 
 
 
Above:  "Did you say these are called 'Brutus Bites?"
 
 
Above: Nice cake-y texture.  Mmmmm!


I love how Sandy's eyes are shut in this picture.  "Mmmmmmm, I can smell the molasses, pumpkin, and cinnamon, Mom!"

No comments: