Sunday, April 20, 2014

Crock Pot Three Bean Turkey Chili (AKA: Gringo's Lament)

So I went for a walk with the puppies, Sandy and Brutus. My friend Tracy brought her pug named Belle and her Boston Terrier named Leila. We bumped into another dog walking buddy named Ron and his dog Tango. We are quite a crew and every gets along well. Knowing that Tracy doesn't like to eat pork or lots of red meat, I decided to tell her and Ron about my new chili recipe which includes ground turkey (instead of beef or pork). I told her and Ron about the recipe and the ingredients(I don't think the dogs were listening) and they both agreed it sounded pretty good. Tracy asked me what I was calling the recipe...?

"Ummmm, Crock Pot Three Bean Chili with Turkey?" I said rather unimaginitively.

Ron chuckled and said,"You ought to call it 'Gringo's Lament'?" Ron has a Masters Degree in Library Science. He's smart. I think he was making a witty, clever remark, but it kind of flew over my head. Does this mean a white person may regret eating this chili? If so, maybe I should NOT call my chili recipe Gringo's Lament.  I need to get out my dictionary.

Whatever the case may be, this chili is really good. It just has a bit of heat, kind of at the end. This is just like the Crock Pot Three Bean Chili with Pork recipe I posted a few weeks back only I used cooked, ground turkey instead. I think I might like it better with the ground turkey. This week my husband suggested I use the ground turkey and he asked for a double batch. Since my Crock Pot could not hold a double batch, I cooked one batch in the Crock Pot and one batch on the stove top in my Dutch Oven (with the lid on). The stove top version cooks for a shorter period (simmer for about an hour) and turns out thicker since more liquid is able to evaporate on the stove top. We decided we prefer this recipe in the Crock Pot a bit better.

CROCK POT 3-BEAN CHILI WITH TURKEY

INGREDIENTS

1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey, cooked/crumbled/drained
1 1/2 cups beer (12 ounces) - I used Coors Lite
1 can fire roasted tomatoes (14.5 ounce)
1 can Rotel Original diced tomatoes with green chiles (10 ounce)
1 diced yellow onion
1 diced red bell pepper
1 can pinto beans, rinsed/drained (15 ounce)
1 can black beans, rinsed/drained (15 ounce)
1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed/drained (15 ounce)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon each ground coriander, garlic powder, and dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Throw all ingredients in crock pot (slow cooker). Give it a good stir. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.  If desired, garnish with shredded sharp cheddar cheese or your favorite  chili toppings. Enjoy!

No comments: