Saturday, March 1, 2014

Crock Pot 3-Bean Chili with Pork


I found this picture on the Internet... sorry, chili all gone. No photo. 



Picture a steaming bowl of hearty chili with some sharp grated cheese on top.   Got it? Okay. 

I made a version of this a Crock Pot 3-Beah Chili awhile back. I would have sworn I wrote it down but I was wrong.  It was back to the drawing board this time around and it turned out good… maybe even better than the original version.  Hubby smelled it brewing in the kitchen and said he wanted to give it a try.  He was suspicious of the little cubes of meat in the chili and, not being a fan of chicken very much, he inquired, “Uhhh, is this chicken?” 

Nope.  It’s pork.

I made a pork loin roast in the crock pot a few weeks ago and the roast was too big for the recipe. I cut about a third of the roast off and froze it in the freezer.  When I was getting ready to make this pot of chili, I let the roast thaw in the refrigerator for a day or so.  When I went to use the roast, it was still partially frozen… which actually made it very easy to cut up into cubes.   I cut the roast into ¾ inch slabs, then ¾ inch slices, and then ¾ inch cubes.  Cutting the bits of roast so small resulted in the chili being ready in about  4 or 4 ½ hours.



CROCK POT 3-BEAN CHILI WITH PORK

INGREDIENTS

1 to 1 1/2 pounds uncooked pork loin roast, cut into bite sized cubes (about 3/4 inch)
1 1/2 cups beer (12 ounces) - I used Coors Lite
1 can fire roasted tomatoes (14.5 ounce)
1 can Rotel Original diced tomatoes with green chiles (10 ounce)
1 diced yellow onion
1 diced red bell pepper
1 can pinto beans, rinsed/drained (15 ounce)
1 can black beans, rinsed/drained (15 ounce)
1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed/drained (15 ounce)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon each ground coriander, garlic powder, and dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Throw all ingredients in crock pot (slow cooker). Give it a good stir. Cook on low for 4 to 4 ½ hours.  If desired, garnish with shredded sharp cheddar cheese or your favorite  chili toppings. Enjoy!

 

No comments: