Friday, December 7, 2012

I am in LOVE: Chicken Tortilla Soup

I seriously have a thing for Chicken Tortilla Soup. I have tried several versions and sampled lots of varities at restaurants when I see it on the menu.  I have found I LOVE the Chicken Tortilla soup they serve at Red Robin Restaurants.  I finally tried this recipe, which I found on line, which is supposed to be a copy cat version of Red Robin's soup.  I can't say it is identical but I can say it is delicious, I am so happy I tried this recipe, and I know this will be my go to recipe.  Yum!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Adapted from www.food.com

Original Recipe Link: http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-tortilla-soup-ii-4627

Ingredients

    • 1 cup carrots, diced (I added more)
    • 1 cup celery  (I added more)
    • 1 cup onions, diced
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 fresh diced garlic cloves
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 2 tablespoons corn oil
    • 4 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
    • 1 (15 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced (optional)
    • 1 (10 ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes & chilies, diced (I used "original" Rotel)
    • 1 (1 1/4-1 1/2 ounce) packets taco seasoning (I use McCormicks low sodium)
    • 1 (10 count) packages corn tortillas, broken or cut into small pieces (I used just 7)
    • 12 ounces chicken meat, poached, diced (I used grilled chicken breast)
    • 1 cup milk
    • 12 ounces monterey jack cheese or 12 ounces Mexican blend cheese, shredded
    • corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces

Directions

  1. Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, garlic, salt and pepper until tender.
  2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and tortillas; bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup (alternatively, use a blender or food processor to puree). 
  4. Add chicken and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
  5. Add milk and simmer for an additional few minutes.
  6. Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.  A little sour cream or plain yogurt is also great.
 


 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love this recipe, i add a can of white beans
as they are a great add on.