Saturday, August 11, 2012

Oh My! Brownies (Vegan)


Black Bean Brownies

1 cup cooked red, black, or aduki beans (I used canned black beans with no salt, drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice or turbinado sugar (I used turbinado)
3 tablespoons oil (I used canola oil)
2 tablespoons coffee (sitting in the coffee pot from earlier in the day)
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour) ****
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon flax seed meal
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts (I used toasted pecans)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line an 8" x 8" x 2" baking dish with aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.

In a food processor, combine beans and sugar. Pulse until smooth. Add in oil, coffee, cocoa powder, applesauce, vanilla, and salt.  Pulse to combine.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and flax seed meal.  Stir with a whisk to combine.  Pour the bean mixture (wet ingredients) into the flour mixture (dry ingredients) and gently fold in the flour. When nearly all the flour is incorporated, add in the chocolate chips and nuts.  Pour into prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.  (I baked my batch for 25 minutes and they were prefect... a little moist, nice crumb, held together nicely, not crumbly, not dry... super good).

**** For a GOOEY brownie, decrease flour to 1/2 cup


Black Bean Brownies
(two loaves of Spicy Pumpkin Bread in the back ground)
I packed them up promptly to keep from eating too many.  Do you notice the blue light on my brownies?  Do you want to see what makes the light shining on my kitchen island so blue?


There are two stained glass windows above the island in my kitchen.  The light and colors streaming through the windows changes through the day and through the year due to the changing angle of the sun. The stained glass windows lay flush with the ceiling.  The skylights (which are on the roof of the house) can been seen by looking through the center of the stained glass windows.  The skylight are about eight feet away from the stained glass windows.  I made these stained glass windows about 15 years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your stained glass is beautiful. You are so talented. The brownies also look very tasty. Harriet